Recycled running leggings are a widely used piece of the garment due to the many benefits they offer. However, making the necessary fabrics to produce them from scratch is a very pollutant process that takes lots of water, energy, and crude oil processing. The virgin fabrics are non-biodegradable and there is a great demand for them. Something needs to be done!
At the Running republic, we provide recycled activewear that is not only eco-friendly but is also high-quality. In this article, we will dive into the details of making recycled running leggings. In summary, the following are the main steps taken into the production of our recycled running leggings.
- Study and Design. In this initial stage, we explore product design ideas that make our recycled leggings unique. The ideas are transferred to a computer-generated sketch using design software. The sketches and technical details are put together, so they are easily transferred to our manufacturers.
- Prototyping. Expert pattern makers make the necessary cut-out pieces of fabric to assemble the leggings. Once the patterns are done, a recycled fabric is selected to make the first prototype.
- Testing and sampling. After extensively testing our leggings to make sure they are comfortable and fit perfectly, the first samples are made.
- Manufacturing. Our manufacturing process uses recycled polyester (rePET) and recycled nylon (Econyl) as the main fabrics for our leggings. The process to make these fabrics starts at waste collection centers where the materials are regenerated, purified, and finally spun into yarn that can be used to make our recycled running leggings.
The benefits of buying recycled running leggings
- High quality. The recycled fabrics retain the technical attributes of the virgin materials. Our recycled leggings are designed for high performance and intense workouts and suited for most athletes, even beginners.
- Eco-friendly. Recycled polyester consumes 50% less energy than virgin polyester and reduces CO2 emissions by 70%. The recycled fabrics also help in diverting waste from landfills and oceans. In addition, for each product sold we plant a tree. As partners of the Belgian ONG WeForest, we actively participate in the reforestation of Amhara in Ethiopia.
- Ensuring fair labor conditions. We constantly supervise our manufacturers to ensure they comply with human rights and provide fair labor conditions and wages.
A word on the textile industry and pollution
Everyday, more people become conscious of the need to protect our environment. Different industry sectors join in the efforts the save the environment by modifying their processes and supply chain. From the vehicles we drive to the clothes we wear, these changes are observable across different industry sectors Still, the textile industry remains one of the biggest pollutants out there, and there´s still much to be done.Visit us at The Running Republic and join our efforts for a better and more sustainable future. Follow our social networks on Facebook and Instagram.